Top 50 Blogs for Animal Lovers
Do you love animals? Can you relate to PETA despite their goofy antics to publicize animal rights? Do you donate to shelters before you feed yourself? There’s a good chance, then, that you’re an animal lover. In this case, you’ll love the list we’ve created of fifty blogs for people like you.
The following list is categorized by general animal blogs, animal advocacy, animal law, farm animals and more. Each link within these categories is listed in alphabetical order to show readers that we do not favor one blog over another. All blogs listed here have been updated within the past thirty days.
Animal Lovers in General
- 4 The Love of Animals: Enjoy cute animal photos, animal news, pet product reviews and giveaways for animal lovers.
- Amazing Animal Lovers Blog! Amazing pets, amazing animals and a link to a companion blog where you can pray for all the animals.
- Animal Crazy: The Orlando Sentinel carries an animal column that focuses on local and international wildlife and pets.
- Animals in the News: This is just one of many Discovery Channel blogs that focus on animals. Follow the news on conservation, wildlife and adventure travel.
- Cute Overload: What animal lover has not heard about or seen this site? Meg and “Cuteporters” the world over submit photos that will make you laugh, cry, coo or whimper over such things as ‘tocks, B.E.F. (Beady Eye Factor), C.O.X.C.U. (Cute Overload eXtreme Close-Up) and more.
- Exotic Animal Lover: Learn about exotic animals at this blog, where Kim Edwards writes for people who have a passion for nature in the world, endangered species and more.
- Kitty Mowmow’s Animal Expo: Ms. Schindler grew up around animals, as her dad is a veterinarian. Now, she researches and writes for a radio show and has created a blog that displays what she’s learned on the job.
- PawNation: Humans are welcome in this blog that focuses on pet news around the U.S. Learn more about dogs, cats, pet health and more while you’re here, too.
- Pet Pinups: Almost as good as Cute Overload, just missing that made-up Cute factor vocabulary. Any animal lover will love these photos, though, which are updated daily.
- Pet Project: If you have pets, you may enjoy this blog about pet news, advice and resources that can make your life and your pet’s life more enjoyable, safe and healthy (and, fun – humor attached).
- Pets and Wildlife: Join Gary Bogue as he focuses on a daily column about pets, wildlife and environmental issues for Contra Costa Newspapers.
- The Pet Realty Network: After working many years in the Real Estate industry, this blogger shares his stories about pets, pets involved in moving, pet politics and more.
- Unleashed: Jill Rosen reports about animal love in the Baltimore area for The Baltimore Sun.
- World Zoo Today: This site hopes to bring zoos, aquariums, wildlife refuges, rescue centers, scientists and animal lovers together to work for animal conservation and education.
- Advocacy for Animals: Encyclopædia Britannica presents this site as a source of information, a call for action, and a stimulus to thought regarding humanity’s relationship with the animals with whom we share our planet.
- Animal Blawg: David N. Cassuto and Luis E. Chiesa, both professors of law and animal rights advocates, bring their take on everything from animal cruelty to Thanksgiving in this blog.
- Animal Blog: This UK blog features animal news, links and jobs along with information by and for animal rescue.
- Animal Rights: Change.org addresses animal rights as a specific topic alongside women’s rights, global warming and homelessness. This organization is very active with legislation developments and exposure of abused animals.
- Animals and Politics: Michael Markarian is the president of the Humane Society Legislative Fund, which lobbies for animal welfare legislation and works to elect humane-minded candidates to public office.
- ASPCA: The ASPCA was the first humane organization in the Western Hemisphere, created to provide an effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States. Follow their efforts through their blog.
- Doris’ Animal Rights Blog: Doris Lin is an animal rights attorney and the Vice President of Legal Affairs for the Bear Education and Resource Group. Learn more about animal rights through her updated blog.
- H.E.L.P. Animals: Learn more about animal rescue, protection, care and more at this Florida nonprofit blog.
- HumaneSpot: HumaneSpot.org is a unique research website tailored to the needs of animal and environmental advocates. Log in to explore their 1,000+ studies contained in their comprehensive database.
- IFAW’s Animal Rescue Blog: The founders of the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) reject the notion that the interests of humans and animals are separate. Instead they embrace the understanding that the fate and future of all animals on Earth are inextricably linked to our own.
- Paw Talk: Enjoy a blog that focuses on animal rescue, news, intelligence (as in animal intelligence), wildlife conservation and anything else that speaks to creatures with paws and to the people who care for them.
- Petfinder: This blog is part of the Petfinder efforts, the virtual home of 320,202 adoptable pets from 13,035 adoption groups. Learn how to care for your pet or find a new pet to adore.
- Striking at the Roots: If you want to know more about animal activism around the world, read Mark Hawthorne’s extensive blog. He is the author of the book by the same name as the blog.
- The Humane Society: Wayne Pacelle is President and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, and he leads 11 million members and constituents in the mission of celebrating animals and confronting cruelty.
- ALDF Blog: For more than a quarter-century, the Animal Legal Defense Fund has been fighting to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals through the legal system. Learn more about current issues on this blog.
- Agricutural Law: Learn more about ag law, the politics involved with agriculture, animal rights and more through this blog offered by the AALS section on Agricultural Law.
- Animal Law Blog: This site features one practitioner’s observations and analysis of animal law news, litigation in her state of Illinois and around the country and criminal cases as well as links to legislation and other animal law resources.
- Animal Law Coalition: Animal Law Coalition works to stop animal cruelty and suffering through legislation, administrative agency action, and litigation. Learn more about their legal analysis of the difficult and controversial issues relating to animals at this blog.
- Equine Law Blog: If you love horses, this blog’s for you. Alison Rowe, a Texas attorney, broaches subjects from auctions to veterinary malpractice.
- Florida Animal Law: We’ve included this state-focused law blog because it carries vast resources and it is touted by many other animal blogs on the Internet. Resources include federal animal law links.
- Pet Trust Law Blog: If you’re a pet owner, you can learn about the well being and future planning for your pets along legal lines, including estate planning for pet owners and pet trusts.
- Advocates for Agriculture: A couple of fifth-generation U.S. ranchers from western South Dakota advocate their passion for telling their side of the agricultural story, which may be different than yours.
- Alpaca Farmgirl: Of all the alpaca blogs on the Web, this one possibly is the most diverse. Learn about alpaca farming, investing in alpacas, how to use alpaca yarn and much more. Katy Spears has been breeding high quality huacaya alpacas for nine years.
- Animal Lovers Web: “Your very own animal farm…” including sheep, chickens, dogs, rabbits, hamsters and many more animated farm features…
- Animal Welfare Approved: Animal Welfare Approved (AWA) was founded in 2006 as a market-based solution to the growing consumer interest in how farm animals are raised.
- Farm Policy: This is a daily summary of news relating to U.S. farm policy, including U.S. and global agricultural economy, the Farm Bill, production agriculture, trade, biofuels and crop insurance. Oh yes, and animals.
- Organic and Alternative Livestock Productions Systems: This blog, produced by Purdue University Extension, tries to make ends meet by introducing alternative livestock production to traditional livestock growers.
- The Official PoultryBookstore.com Blog: Christine Henrichs began to write about the Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities members, and this blog arose from those efforts. She’s now that organization’s publicity director, which goes to show how mere chickens can suck you in.
- Urban Chickens: Raising chickens has become a fad in urban areas, so this blog has become popular. However, many urban areas do not allow chicken farms, so this blog also advocates the reasons to allow this type of farming in urban areas.
- Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach: In this case, abolition means veganism. This blog approaches regards veganism as the moral baseline of the animal rights position.
- Grumpy Vegan: To live is to be grumpy, and this vegan complains about (or the lack of) “compassion, nonviolence, truth and a sense of interbeing (the interrelatedness of it all).” Plus, there’s plenty of focus on animal rights.
- The PETA Files: Known for outrageous stunts that focus on animal cruelty and that generate various responses from outright anger to apathy, PETA provides more information about its outlook on this blog.
- The Professional Vegan: Even if you do eat meat, you may not agree with making purses or shoes from snakeskin. This blog can help you find clothing and accessories that are not made from leather, wool, silk or other animal products.
The Deeper Side
- Animal Inventory: Animal Inventory is a place where animal images on television, in magazines and on commercial advertisements can be explored, cataloged and recognized as vital elements of conversation that contribute to our understanding of animals.
- Animal Person: This blog is sad, informative, happy and intelligent. Dr. Mary Martin deconstructs the language, ethics and economics of our relationship with nonhuman animals in this very readable blog.
- Animal Science Blog: Learn more about how the environment is affecting animals, birds and more as well as the biological studies of anything living and nonhuman.
- Lib Now! Founded in 2001, the Institute for Critical Animal Studies (ICAS) is the first interdisciplinary scholarly nonprofit animal protection center dedicated to providing education policy research and analysis for higher education. Additionally, ICAS identifies animal oppression as torturing, marginalizing, or killing animals.